German made Hirschklebber paste to attach toe puffs and back counters
Hirschkleber Shoemakers & Cobblers Craft Paste. To Paste Toe Puffs to make Toe Box & Back Counters
Hirschkleber glue or paste is used by most shoemakers to glue leather toe puffs to create toe box and stiffen back counters of shoes. Once dried the toe box and back counters become stiff and hard. Hence creates protection for the footwear.
How to use the Hirschkleber Glue
- Apply Hirschkleber paste on the both of back counters
- Apply Hirschkleber paste on the inner upper side and on the inner lining
- Insert the back counter between upper and lining
- Ensure it fits well and remove any creases on the inner lining
- Powder all of the inner upper
- Begin to last the upper
- Temporary last the back counters
- Begin to toe last with the inserted toe puff
- Let the toe puff dry out out
- Once dry apply Hirschkleber paste on both sides of the toe puff
- Apply Hirschkleber glue on upper and lining
- Finish lasting the toe area completely
Pull the toe upper leather back and finish the toe box
It is advisable NOT to use on wet leather as it might stain or cause the lining to get darken. Hirschkleber gives better result unlike ordinary glue. Big advantage is that it provides ventilation inside shoes without sealing air vents. Thus air circulates through the shoes.
Hirschkleber Shoemaker’s Glue Paste
Listed here is a 600 g of shoemakers and cobblers leather working craft paste or glue. German made and traditionally used by all the shoemakers and cobblers. Highly reliable and suitable for bonding leather to leather, leather, leather to cardboard, felt, paper, textiles, etc.
Hirschkleber craft paste is very easy spread. The paste glue is thick in consistency.
Main advantages of Hirschkleber paste:
- No smell, no artificial chemicals or preservatives
- Does not spoil
- Easy to apply, highly durable and versatile product
- Keeps for a long duration once used
Application on fabrics
To apply craft paste on to fabric or heavy duty fabrics such as canvas then follow these instructions:
- With bristle brush apply craft paste evenly and smoothly without any lumps
- Apply craft paste on both the surfaces of material to be glued
- Allow paste to dry for few minutes before cementing together
- For even and smooth finish on the material glued then place the material underneath cardboard followed by heavy weight
Application on wood or similar material to be bonded
Follow instructions as fabric
Application on leather to leather
To apply craft pastes on to leather then follow these instructions:
- First ensure that the leather pieces to be bonded are moist and NOT dry
- Apply craft paste on both surfaces of leather to be bonded
- Ensure even and smooth pasting. No lumps
- Bond both pieces of leather
- For even and smooth finish on the leather pieces glued then place the leather pieces underneath cardboard followed by heavy weight
- Allow pieces to dry naturally. This process may take time depending on the temperature of the room.
Application for shoemaking
Follow above instructions as applying on leather to leather. Glue toe puffs and back counter stiffeners. Paste liberally. Glue other leather inserts if required. Once the upper has been glued and necessary inserts made then proceed to last the shoe.
For even finish on the shoe uppers lasted with glued inserts then gently tap using folding hammer to ensure complete bonding.